Almost always, the week of the engagement session, I get a text with outfit options or somewhere along the lines of ”anything we should bring or any advice for our pictures??”
There are so many things to think about, and with pinterest the ideas can be overwhelming. BUT as a wedding photographer, and bride-to-be, I made a list of 7 tips to have a killer engagement session.
– Is there somewhere you wanted to do your wedding photos but it’s not physically possible (ex. opposite direction of wedding venue, 20 minute hike in, etc)?? Now’s the time to go on an adventure with your sweetie.
- Colors & Outfit Choices.
– You don’t have to be matching, but sticking with the same colour family always looks nice. Layers are a great way to change things up, or add a pop of colour. Don’t forget to accessorize!
- Hair & Make-up.
– Ladies, go the extra mile with this! Think about doing your make-up trial before, or use it as an excuse to get dolled up and go on a date after. I always recommend taking your everyday look, and just adding a touch more! This way you not only feel like yourself, but by looking and feeling your best, it shows on camera too!
– Planning a winter wedding? Opt for a summer engagement session! Having the contrast will help you have beautiful photos all year round and more variety.
- Shine Bright Like a Diamond.
-You guys look great, but don’t forget to get that rock looking photo-ready too! Whether you have been engaged for a year or two months, consider getting your ring cleaned or shining it up yourself (Mr. Clean+water and a baby toothbrush works great!).
- Home Sweet Home.
– Is your home modern? beach themed? rustic? This is such a great time to get beautiful ”everyday” photos of you and your hubby-to-be, and chances are these are the ones you will choose to have up in your home or post for years to come. If you loooove putting frames up or want that epic canvas in your living room, try coordinating your colours, location or season that will work and can use long term. There are so many great print+product options now, photos are a great way to add to your style throughout your home.
- Your WEDDING.
– guest book. décor pieces. save the dates. wedding website.
Are you planning on incorporating your engagement photos in your wedding details? Thinking ahead as to what you might want to use them for will not only help when planning your session (colors! location! season!), but could also help while putting together your wedding décor too.
* ALSO! This is a great thing to mention to your photographer beforehand. Whether you need to book your session sooner so they are ready and you can use them in your save-the-dates, or want to get creative and have an idea in mind… having that communication beforehand will help ensure everyone is on the same page and prepared.
Hope this helps! xx
PS. Have a piece of advice for future brides or a question?? Share it below!